Sunday, September 2, 2012
Serves: 4-6 Ingredients
• 1 lb lean ground beef
• 1/2 onion, diced
• 1Tbsp taco seasoning
• 1 (10 oz) can mild Rotel
• 2 cups beef broth
• 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
• 2 Tbsp butter
• 2 Tbsp flour
• 3/4 cup milk
• 4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onion; drain off any grease.
2. Add taco seasoning, Rotel, beef broth, and macaroni; stir until well blended. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and cover pan.
3. Simmer until macaroni is tender.
4. While the hamburger mixture simmers, melt the 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook until and light brown in color. When on this step do not have the burner set really high.
5. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thick. Do not stop whisking, this will stick easily and fast.
6. Remove from heat and blend in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked hamburger mixture. Stir gently to combine.